AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

Ty time here is what im going through.. over the past month

Customer Question

hello and ty for your time here is what im going through..
over the past month i registered online with a site that you can buy guns at all the info was true and correct in my name...
now a friend i had at the time owed me around 5000 $ and it came up in a talk that he would use his credit card to pay for whatever i wanted up to 5200$. at the time i was into guns so on the site i would pick the guns i wanted and than he would pay for them, he said this way he could pay it over time. so over the next month i ordered around 8 of the guns i always wanted and was happy i was getting paid back than about 2 days ago i get an email from one of the sellers saying that the credit card people had a chargeback on the payment and that the card used was stolen and that the need the payment by monday or the need to report it to the ATF as a "FRAUD PURCHASE" . i told them i will pay them in full by monday (IE) in a few hrs. i hope this will fix the issue with them but what im worried about is the 7 guns that i got. see i didnt know he was paying with someones credit card and all the info is in my name and i picked them up in the store and did the backround check, my point is it all in my name with my ID and the problem is also that my i dont know where my "friend" lives all i know is his 1st name the kind of car he drives and what he looks like so im worried about the ATF/cops knocking on my door about the other 7 guns i will just pay the one in the moring i know about. oh and i live in nevada if that helps tyvm
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist you for informational purposes. Wow, what a difficult situation. It's likely that all of those guns are going to be charged back, and so, in my opinion, you need to contact each of the sellers and verify that the payment did go through. It is possible that one of the sellers may contact law enforcement, but if you are cooperative, you will fare better. However, it seems very strange that your friend owed you $5,000 and you don't even know his last name. If law enforcement are involved, they are probably going to be skeptical that you would have engaged in a transaction like that and not even known the person's last name.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thats what im afraid of as well and i dont know if the first name is ***** ***** the debt was built up over time of around a year and he told me that he was getting a seatllement from a car crash and would pay me back once he got it but he never got it as far as i know now that i look back it was a scam from the get go and how he kept it so i knew little about him. and all i was thinking about when i engaged in the transaction was getting paid back

Let me know if I have answered your question.