How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 12996
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend told me he has a restraining order on me, but i

Customer Question

my friend told me he has a restraining order on me
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: but i have not got an
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i was rape by this man
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you.

So I can better assist you, I need a little more information first, please.

What state is this in?

Have you gotten anything from the court regarding a restraining order?

Why would this person want a restraining order against you? For example, has their been violence between the two of you? Was he a boyfriend, spouse, etc?

What is your specific legal question about the restraining order I may answer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this is in missouri, no because i have been trying to get a hold of him because i am pregnet . nothing from the court. what should i do about the rape
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

I am truly very sorry to hear what happened to you. You can certainly call the Clerk of Court and find out if there is in fact a restraining order. Normally what would happen when someone applies for a restraining order is that they will seek a temporary order "ex-parte" meaning without notice to the party they are seeking the order against -claiming that they are being harassed or stalked or abused, etc. Since it's a temporary order pending a final hearing, judges more often then not will issue a temporary restraining order until a hearing can be held and you can appear and give your side of the story. That temporary order would have been delivered to you, normally by a sheriff. So...I don't know if this person is putting you on or not. The Clerk of Court should be able to look it up.

As for the rape, as you know, that's a criminal offense. While a private citizen cannot press charges (the police can arrest and the prosecutor's office has final say about filing charges) you should definitely make it a priority to report the matter to the authorities. This person belongs in jail.

Certainly once the child is born you can petition the court for DNA testing to determine paternity (since I doubt he will admit it) and a support order can be entered for the child -even if he is incarcerated at the time.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

Was there any additional information or clarification you needed about this question?

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

I would ask that if I have answered your question to your satisfaction that you kindly leave a positive rating for me now by clicking on the stars so that I am paid for my time and assistance to you. Thank you!

Related Criminal Law Questions