Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

Can conviction of 2c:29-9b in NJ, get my security guard

Customer Question

Can conviction of 2c:29-9b in NJ, get my security guard license revoke in NYS?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. If you were convicted of the stated crime, it is considered a felony in NYS since it is a 4th degree crime and "indictable" in NJ. Under the laws of NYS for security guard licensing the applicant (carrier of a license) cannot have been convicted of a "serious crime." A felony is a serious crime, therefore, that could lead to the loss of your SG license. However, there is a process where someone can ask for relief from the disability (the serious crime). If they have been convicted of one felony and it is a first time conviction, the process is called "Certificate of Relief from Disabilities" (see link below).

These are some links to confirm what I have shared:

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. I will be away from my computer for most of the day, but will respond as soon as possible once I have access again. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 25th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.