Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I'm trying to help my son do research on how to get a charge

Customer Question

I'm trying to help my son do research on how to get a charge off his back ground check. It's an old charge that never went to court but keeps coming up on his criminal history and hinders him from job opportunities. Do we start by contacting the court or writing a letter to the judge. I don't know how to guide him with getting this issue resolved.
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I was trying to work it out with out a lawyer.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of at the moment.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you today.

Generally, what you would have to do is file a motion to expunge or seal (different states have different procedures) the record, so that it no longer comes up in background checks. Since state laws vary, what state was the charge in, as that is where you'd need to file?