Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I am not supposed to have a record sex crime. I took a plea

Customer Question

I am not supposed to have a record for a sex crime. I took a plea deal and it would not go on my record. I have to register as a sex offender now. this I don't mind but when I look for a job ( I m in the steel industry ) any way when I look for a good job as a welder they do a criminal back ground check its on it. isn't this a record? what should I do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier.

1. Does the criminal background state that you were convicted or just that you were arrested for the offense?

2. What exactly was the terms of your plea? Did it require you to register as a sex offender? What was supposed to show up on your record for this incident under the terms of the plea?