CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

Is there a statue of limitations messages to be used in a

Customer Question

Is there a statue of limitations for text messages to be used in a court?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no just asking a question
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Text messages was around 8 years ago conversation took place. Somehow other family members got a hold of the texts that were not sent to them. N now this matter seemed to come back up 8 years later and they saying they have text messages from back when that can be used a confirmation of the conversation
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: That is the jist of it
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to say but there is not. If the text messages are relevant to the cause of action, they can be introduced and used as evidence, to show/support the case or argument. The statute of limitations is the time in which a lawsuit can be filed. It is not something that could be raised to prevent the introduction of these text messages.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What if the text messages where not intended for the person that has them. They were transferred from one device to another. Who is to say that the context of the message have not been modified and not the original

Yes, that is a very good argument to make, if they are used. You can attack their authenticity and argue that they may have been modified or edited.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they were sent to a phone or email, then supposedly a sister got a hold of them; then passed to another sister then passed to an aunt. SOme electronic and some hardcopy. Either way they could have been modified espically over a 8 year period. How successful do u think that argument will be

Yes, it could but you can get the original. This could be done with a court order, for the cell phone provider to turn it over

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!