Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Wife is currently serving a one year sentence felony tax

Customer Question

Wife is currently serving a one year sentence for a felony tax issue. I have a collection of civil war muzzle loading pistols and rifles in the house. Do these need to be removed when she comes home? Note that weapons manufactured before 1898 and are muzzle loaders are not defined as firearms by the federal govt. I also have an 1841 muzzle loading cannon. same question
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

If the muzzleloaders are exempt under federal law -- then they are not considered firearms and your wife would not be violating Federal law.

HOWEVER, under state law there may be a problem if the state has no similar exemption.

In what state are you living?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.