Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a son who was arrested in GA property

Customer Question

I have a son who was arrested in GA for theft property conversion/reckless driving and offered a cash bond of $2,500.00. He was appointed a public defender and was scheduled for a preliminary hearing, but he refused the public defender at that time. Is he entitled to another PD?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Georgia (GA)
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

If he decided he wanted to represent himself but changed his mind, he can ask the judge to appoint him another free lawyer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Who will notify him before he goes before a judge again?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

He should already know the date of his next court appearance, as it is put on the record what the next date will be. His commitment card will be marked with that date so that the Department of Corrections will know to produce him.

If he makes bail, he can call the court and ask the clerk when his court date it, as it will be in the court computer.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.