Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

What would be my best choise if i fail to appear in court

Customer Question

What would be my best choise if i fail to appear in court because i had a vehicle problem and i can prove it.. And now they put me down with a bench warrant that its a total of 6000 dlrs... The court was for tickets only and they need it my drivers license so i got it fixed is their anyway i can prevent this warrant against me???
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Is in palo alto cal. And it was issued on 6/8/16
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Sense they were only traffic tickets i didnt quilify for one
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not about this matter only that the day i was suppost to be there was to take my actual drivers license id catd
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Cause a court before that one i took my permit bt they ask for the actual card id
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank u
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

With a warrant for a failure to appear, unfortunately there is no best choice. There is only one way to get rid of a warrant for a failure to appear and that is to come to court and appear before the judge who issues it and be prepared to deal with your case.

As you already know, he may decide to put you in and set bail on you in the amount of $6,000, but if you show up sooner rather than later and show up with an attorney to argue for your liberty and to show why you were unable to attend, you may be able to avoid it. You can do this without a lawyer, but it's safest to do so with one.

The longer you wait, the greater the likelihood that you'll have to pay the bond.

Warrants are always bad news situations. There is no magic formula to get rid of one, except to appear. It will not go away by itself unless you're picked up and brought in involuntarily, at which time the bail will be set even higher.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do u know around how many day i will be put in coustody if i decide to pay with jail time..
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

If these are traffic tickets rather than misdemeanors, would be jailed for contempt for failing to appear and you would still have to pay the tickets. They want the $6K bail because that way the tickets are covered if you never come back.

The penalty for criminal contempt is up to 6 months in jail and/or a fine of up to $6,000.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.