Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am half way through a 24 month parole violation of

Customer Question

I am half way through a 24 month parole for a violation of MCL750.136b2. I have met all of my parole requirements, and am gainfully employed. I have had no problems, and am wanting an early parole release, but my parole officer said that because of my crime, I cannot get an early release. IS this true or not???
Where can I get the information from the MCL regarding this issue?
Thank you for your prompt assistance in this matter.
Sincerely,
Tracey *******
********************
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, this is not true. The PO is not in charge of deciding if the parole would end early, the Judge is. The Defendant can file a motion asking the Court to allow early termination. The Court normally wants at least 2/3 of the time completed, all hours completed, all tests/classes done, all UAs negative, etc. Then, it is still at the Judge's discretion. The PO and DA can also weigh in with their recommendation.

However given the nature of the conviction, the Judge is less likely to allow early termination. This is what the PO likely meant. Not that the Court will not, but simply that it is less likely to allow it.

However, someone in your situation can still try.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.