RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I was given a ticket under $30 at Wal-Mart. How much will it

Customer Question

I was given a ticket for shoplifting under $30 at Wal-Mart. How much will it cost to get lawyer to represent me. In texas
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. N i had clean record prior to this. Im 58 yrs old. N im worried will it hurt child custody case thats pending?
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help.
Customer: I live in katy tx. Please refer me to lawyer that can help
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I offered to pay for items. I was under duress due to revent death n family n stressing over child custody case pending. I never in my life had stole anything. They didnt let me pay for other items.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Okay
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you.

Legal experts on this site are not permitted (per site rules) to refer you to specific lawyers or firms. I would suggest you contact the Texas Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service who can put you in touch with a qualified attorney. How much a lawyer charges is going to vary from one lawyer to the next, because it is based on a variety of factors - number of years in practice, the size of the firm they're with, geographic location, etc. I'd estimate that a petty theft charge would cost you in the area of $1000-$1500 though (flat rate).

Theft under $50 in value is a Class C theft offense in Texas. The maximum penalty if convicted is a $500 fine, with no possible jail time. You certainly don't want a theft conviction on your record though, and it may be possible for a lawyer to negotiate an agreement whereby the charge can later be dismissed from your record.

I don't see this having an impact on a custody matter - what is most important is for a court to do what they believe is best for the child. The charge doesn't affect the health, safety, or welfare of the child, doesn't endanger them, and is not a criminal act against the family (such as domestic violence or child abuse).

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you!