Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

Is it possible to get an emergency restraining order on my

Customer Question

Is it possible to get an emergency restraining order on my ex boyfriend? He's been leaving me some pretty hateful dark voicemessages and the last texts he sent me:, "You really need to educate your f**king self dumbass you want my call stop then pay me the rest of my f**king money for the drugs and since the room got cancelled and I Got the f**king boot with all hh work and this and that f**king morning I got that f**king bitches You purposely sabotaged that room... You make yourself look bad. And it's sad that you think my friends won't tell me or record the delirious stories you love to sell... I'll be done and ready to go by 8... Do yourself a favor"
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I will help you with your question. I have been an attorney for 27 years and I was a prosecutor for 9 years. Please give me a few minutes. I am preparing a complete response for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you

Yes, you can get apply for and Emergency Restraining Order or Temporary Restraining Order. You should call or go to the police to show them the messages you are getting. If there are clear threats, call 911. If the threats are imminent, the police can get in touch with a judge 24 hours a day to order an emergency restraining order.

If you can't get an emergency restraining order, you will be able to get a Temporary Restraining Order. This will take about a day to get. You need to go to the Family Court in your area and ask to go before the judge to get a Temporary Restraining Order. The Clerk of the Court will give you the forms you would need to fill out. Then you will go before the judge who may ask some questions. The judge will then issue an order that will state that your boyfriend must stay away from you, not contact you, not harass or threaten you. If he violates this order, he will be arrested for contempt of this order.

The court will give you instructions on how to serve your boyfriend with the papers. Usually the sheriff or police serve these court orders on the defendant.

Please let me know if you want me to find the information on the court in your area. I will need to know your county. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Van nuys court house
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But I'm going to need something for tonight in the text he sent he said something about 8pm

Call 911.

Judges are available 24 hours a day for Emergency Restraining Orders

You will then have to go to court to get a Temporary Restraining order.

Make sure you are safe. Call the police.

Here is the form you will have to fill out for court to get a more permanent restraining order. http://www.lacourt.org/forms/pdf/FAM018.pdf

I hope all is well. Please let me know how it went.