TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I bought a trailer from someone after having week i desided

Customer Question

hello i bought a trailer from someone after having for a week i desided to sell it on letgo seeing i got a good deal on it when i showed up to sell cops pulled up on me and told me it was stolen now they are saying i am going to be charged even tho i didnt steal it and bc i dont have proof of buying it i am a crimnal past and i feel thats why they are being this way can they really send me back to prison without any proof of it being stolen
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Q: can they really send me back to prison without any proof of it being stolen

A: No. The only way to send you to prison for theft would be to convict you in court. The only way to convict you would be to prove the case against you beyond a reasonable doubt. Obviously, that cannot happen unless they have evidence against you.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No not at all that did not help I am not being chargeed with theft they are saying criminal position of stolen property
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again.

You original question was "can they really send me back to prison without any proof of it being stolen"

My answer above applies to criminal possession as well. They would have to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt, and that requires evidence. If you're charged with possession of stolen property, then one element that would have to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt is that the property was stolen. Moreover, they'd have to prove that you knew that the property was stolen. That's the only way to convict you.

If that is not the information you are seeking, please clarify your question for me.

Thank you.