Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

I'm an appraiser, my clients want me to take pictures of all

Customer Question

I'm an appraiser, my clients want me to take pictures of all the comparables I use for my report. is this a form of tresspassing or a right to privacy? I usually tell them that digital MLS photos were used and say because of tresspassing laws. what is your thought?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Wisconsin. I would love if it was a form of tressapssing than I wouldn't have to infringe on people by taking a picture of the home they reside in. I have had the police called on me before for doing this.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: It happens every time I do an appraisal, the lenders want me to go and take photos of the sales I use.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I am trying to convince the lender that digital photos from the realtors should be used, because I feel taking photos of someone's house is a form of tresspassing. They said, if I can show a statue or law that states this I will not have to do it.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

As long as you are not going onto private property to take the pictures, you are perfectly legal to take pictures of other properties as comparables from a public road or setting. This is considered to be public domain, and you are not trespassing by taking pictures, or even video, from public roads, streets or thoroughfares.

You obviously cannot, at least without permission, go onto the property of another to take pictures of that property or details of that property. Otherwise, if I understand the issue correctly, you are good to go.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE Stars) on the ratings interface on your end so I can receive credit for my response.

Best wishes and thank you!

Did you have any additional questions?

Do you have any other questions or concerns? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible with this issue and the answer. Thanks