Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I understand the police do measurements of area to assess

Customer Question

I understand the police do measurements of area to assess the potential lf the abuser being physically close to the child. How does this work?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Could you rephrase?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The police measured a room to determine if child was close enough to suspect for abuse to happem

Yes, I've seen that happen. WHat do you mean by "how does this work"?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please explain what they are doing and why would they select one room over nother.

It depends on what the facts are. For instance, if the child was supposed to have been abused in a room that had three other people in it in their beds then the measurements will show how likely it could be that the abuse occurred due to the placement of the other people in the room.

In one example I can think of the measurements worked against the police because the story was that the man had grabbed the child from his bed and "thrown the child against the wall". However, the measurements showed that the man, who had a shoulder condition, could never have thrown the boy that far.

They use measurements to show layouts, locations of witnesses, locations of other items, placements of windows, etc.

As to why they choose one room over another it would have to be because that room has some specific relation to the crime.