RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I have been accused of not following med pass procedures at

Customer Question

I have been accused of not following med pass procedures at assisted living. They are questioning me in taking a hydrocodone. I have been interviewed by police and my company has not fired me. I am on suspention. I have offered to take a drug test and have documentation that I he allergies to this medication. I just got called by police for another interview. Do I continue to answer questions
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Wisconsin and the incident in question was June 9th 2016
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I am currently waiting for a decision on my suspension. The Officer that wants to continue the investigation wants to interview me tomorrow again
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to assisting you.

While this is just my professional opinion, there is no good thing that will come from talking to the police if you are a person of interest to them. Be smart. Innocent or guilty. Don't talk. Ever. Even if an attorney tells you it is okay to talk to the police, NEVER TALK TO POLICE. This applies to after you have an attorney as well as before you have an attorney. At no point in time should you be talking to the police.

At the end of the day, police are imperfect humans. They hear what they expect to hear and see what they expect to see. Sometimes that is something other than what you say. I've talked to many people as an attorney who were innocent and thought that they could "explain away" everything to the police. But the fact is, when police are talking to you, they're looking for a suspect -not an explanation. And, police only need "probable cause", or a reasonable belief, that you committed a crime to arrest you. That's a much lower burden of proof then what a prosecutor is required to have to convict you.

By talking to the police or giving a written statement, you are just allowing them to potentially use something you have said against you later on. Even if you meant something else, your words or statements can come back to haunt you. You can't undo speaking with them and what you said. But you are NOT obligated to talk to them. You can politely tell that officer "I'm sorry, but I'm done making any further statements or answering questions. Any further questions can be directed to my attorney (if you have one)." That's all you have to say. They can't force you to talk. And ultimately, whether you talk to them or not is not going to change their decision. If they intend to arrest you, they will whether you talk or not. That's just the reality.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.

Just wanted to follow up with you. Have you not been able to view my answer?