Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
12176198

Issued a bad check detective told me if I didn't pay back

Customer Question

Hi pearl issued a bad check detective told me if I didn't pay back the money tonight I would be charged with four felony counts. I can't pay tonight. Do I have to worry about them coming tonight to arrest me or do I have time to get an attorney in the morning ?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Criminal Lawyer will figure it out.
Customer: So what just don't answer the door tonight ?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Florida palm beach county and we've been trying to work out a payment plan since Monday. To no avail. I know the detective already has large file on me she's been to the house
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: I can call one in the morning. But I have a 6 year old son with me I'm afraid they are gonna to bang down my door tonight and take me in front of my so I. An actually pay back the $ in the morning. They just would put budge on the deadline
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 5 months ago.

Hello.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It depends on how quickly they can get an arrest warrant. For a felony charge, they typically have to swear out the charges to a judge or commissioner, and a warrant is then issued for your arrest. They can't just show up an arrest you. But often there is a judge on call for this, so the officer doesn't necessarily have to wait for regular business hours to get the charges filed and to obtain the arrest warrant. So honestly, there is no way to know for sure when the officer plans to go get the warrant. I will say that a lot of criminal lawyers have 24-hour hotlines due to the fact that clients can be arrested at any time, so you can start looking for a lawyer now rather than waiting until morning, in case the officer is ridiculously motivated. I wouldn't necessarily expect the officer to bend over backwards to get the warrant that quickly, since this is a non-violent crime, but since you can't be sure, you can always start your attorney search now.