RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  licensed attorney in criminjal law for 30 years
8534270

I need a sample letter to submit to judge in hopes of a jail

Customer Question

I need a sample letter to submit to judge in hopes of a jail free sentence. I'm not sure on how to word this and also show remorse.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Give me a couple of minutes.

2036 Hanover Lane

Napa, CA 94558

June 10 2016

The Honorable ***** *****

Judge of the Local Court of Napa

P.O. Box 743

Napa, CA 94558

Dear Judge Richardson,

I appreciate your thoughtfulness, respect, and fairness throughout my trial. I was convicted of shoplifting, and I plan to own up to my actions and make amends for my mistakes. While I can’t go back in time and reverse what I did, you can rest assured that this will never happen again. This is not the type of person that I am, and I am ashamed of myself for even considering what I did, let alone doing it.

I would like you to consider all of this when it comes to my sentence. I have spent my whole life raising my brothers and sisters when my parents couldn’t, working several jobs, and going to school. I have never once taken the easy way out, and this was a one-time slip in judgment. The pressure of my daily responsibilities has been getting to be too much, and instead of seeking help, I acted out. Above all else, I know that what I did is wrong, and it is not the person that I want to become.

There is so much going on in my life that extended jail time would only further bring me down. Several people depend on me, and I need to be there for them. At the same time, I realize I have to answer for my actions, and I will gracefully accept your final decision. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

***** *****

Feel free to modify to your facts and crime involved.This should give you an idea of how to present such a letter.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.