Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I am not a criminal and very uneducated about criminal

Customer Question

I am not a criminal and very uneducated about criminal activities. This is a simple case of a daughter(myself) taking my mother who has terminal cancer to a store to help her shop. We were exiting the store and a man that is employed there helped us out with her groceries. My mother and I noticed my back side glass broken out. We were discussing this during the time the store employee was loading groceries into my backseat. When we arrived home my mother called the store manager and asked if there was any way that they could tell if someone did this there. They told us to make a police report and they could look at the cameras. I did that, answered the policeman the best of my ability. My mom is very sick and he said to her"you are not even pointing in the right direction" while she was trying to describe EXACTLY where we were parked..I told him that she is very I'll and can't think straight. She is 74 and dying..a little understanding? He then said he would look at the surveillance camera's the following day. I said fine, I know I will pay to have it fixed but someone or people in general might be causing harm to other vehicles there..really simple. Should have been. The next day I was cleaning my house when he knocked on the door..I said excuse my mess, come on in. He then began to ask me if I would answer questions without an attorney present..I was thinking Attorney..why? I had no idea what he was talking about..I thought maybe it's standard and they might have to ask before they discuss anything.???? He then accused me of lying and he looked over the cameras all day which took time away from him.I told him that I don't lie, why would I? Was he accusing me of making a false report? He srated I didn't acknowledge my window on the tapes,?? I said well why don't you go ask the employee that helped us out to the car. Maybe he should have done that first instead of coming to my house reading me my rights. The employee of course confirmed that I was not lying...for such a small situation and my mother was crying over this before going to take Chemotherapy today..I was so upset I was literally throwing up yesterday..Is this officer bullying me and my mother? Am I wrong?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Were you charged with a criminal offense?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you still need help. If so, please reply here on this question thread.