Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Can an organization that regularly works with government

Customer Question

Can an organization that regularly works with government agencies, such as law enforcement, be, themselves, considered an extension of the agency and be somehow bound by their rules and processes? For example, the BBB has a set of rules they use to determine what they feel is wrong or inappropriate but these do not correlate with statutes or the law, so they are, in a way, creating their own laws and if you don't agree with them, the BBB will damage your company's reputation.
In many cases, a company may not be violating or be accused of violating any laws yet the BBB may impose their judgement and write a bad review - under the basis of freedom of speech.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I don't see any correlation between a police department and the BBB. What is it hat you are asking?

2. Are you asking if a police department is an extension of the prosecutors office, or whether the BBB can enforce rules that it develops for BBB members and other business that it receives comments from the general public on?