Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

How to obtain a public defender? and what is the cost

Customer Question

How to obtain a public defender? and what is the cost associated with that? My brother suffers from schizophrenia. He punched a police officer and has been arrested and taken to jail. Is there anything that we can do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Your brother can request a public defender in court before the judge, or he/you can contact the Maryland Office of the Public Defender and seek help with getting an attorney appointed to represent him. Here's a link to their site: http://www.opd.state.md.us

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Of course, he must qualify for a public defender --- which basically means he has to prove he can't afford a private lawyer --- and if he can do that, he should be able to get the assistance he needs.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When can he be set free?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

The court will first have to set a bond, and if he can make the bond, he'll be allowed out of jail.

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Usually, there is a bond hearing within a few days of the person being arrested.......if you get an attorney to assist him, a bond hearing could likely be held sooner than later, and he'd be allowed out until his case is tried.

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.