Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My son's license was suspended year in NC (due to DUI) and

Customer Question

My son's license was suspended for one year in NC (due to DUI) and he has served 7 days in jail. He will have 18 months probation.It took almost 3 years to get settled in court and he had to surrender his NC license. He currently lives in SC and has a SC driver's license. Will his SC driver's license also be suspended? (They will transfer his remaining probation time to a SC probation officer).
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice /legal service you should contact a local attorney.

Did your son disclose that his NC license was suspended when he applied for the license in SC?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He had switched to a SC license shortly before a confirmed court date - applied for that since he could not find his NC license at the time - later found it and surrendered it at court hearing. His lawyer did not seem to know if it would affect the SC license.

Thank you for your follow up.

Was your son's NC driver license suspended at the time he obtained his SC license?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No

Did he obtain his SC driver license before or after the DUI arrest?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The DUI arrest occurred in July 2013. He obtained a SC license in Feb. or Mar. of 2016. His court date was not scheduled at the time and was later on the schedule for mid April 2016 (?). He surrendered the NC license after the sentencing. Now he is wondering if he stays out of NC during the suspension time period, can he drive in SC with his SC license?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please send your answer to my email address if you cannot send it in the next 5 minutes. I have to get up very early tomorrow morning and need to retire for the evening. Thanks, ***** ***** for the advice. Please note: I do not wish to continue this service as this was a one time question - please make sure I am only charged for the one time service...B.Jones

Thank you for your follow up.

Was your son's NC driver license suspended or valid prior to sentencing?

Did he disclose that there was a pending DUI case when he applied for the driver license in SC?

These are very essential factors, so please let me know the information once you confirm it with your son.

Thanks.