Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Can a warrant be issue if a fight occurred on my property :

Customer Question

Can a warrant be issue if a fight occurred on my property for me
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: TN not sure if it been issue police been showing up everyday for a week ask yesterday if they needed me and they said no but showed up again today I wasn't home
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Do I have to make a statement if fight occurred in my yard
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: It's hard my last name carries a load alot of attorney don't want to deal with any issues I seen to havr
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

Are you being charged with a crime for something that occurred on your property? Or do you least want you as a witness?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

I was hoping to hear from you by now, but I will respond. If it turns out I've misunderstood your question, please let me know by replying on this question thread and clarifying.

Yes, the police can get a warrant to charge you with a crime that occurred on your own property.

However, as the suspect of a crime, you NEVER are required to make a statement to the police. Anything you say to the police, even what you think is favorable, can be twisted and used against you. However, your right to refuse to be interrogated and to remain silent is a Constitutional right. You're protected by the 5th Amendment from having to give evidence against yourself.

The only way you should let the police question you about this incident is if you have a lawyer with you. Otherwise, you can and should refuse to submit to questioning.

If you don't make a statement and the police have enough evidence to arrest you, they will do so, but at least you won't have made any confessions or admissions which could cost you your case.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.