Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I was set up in a sting in Portland, OR. After they arrested

Customer Question

I was set up in a sting for prostitution in Portland, OR. After they arrested me, detectives interviewed me for several hours. There is a lot to this story but in the end they gave me a citation and a date to appear in court. This is where there is some confusion. I being a law abiding citizen look on the court calendar for my court date. There was no court scheduled for the date of my court appointment. I then called the court to ask about my court date. The clerk said there was no court at all on the day of my court date. I was confused and a bit angry and scared. I believed that the detectives gave me a fake court date just to mess with my brain and make me worry. Though I don't want to get into details, something happened during my arrest that made the detectives nervous and led me to believe they weren't going to charge me. Then about seven months later I am asked for my ID by an officer. They run it and say I have a warrant for prostitution but have zero details about it. All they know is I had a warrant. I'm arrested and released rather quickly. My question is, can I get out of this charge because the detectives gave me a fake court date to show up at? Or will that have any bearing on my charges?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Police don't set the court calendar. That's administrative in nature and sometimes mistakes will happen. Likely, the officer simply didn't realize that the court was closed on the date he gave you. It's highly improbable for police to give you a false court date "just to mess with your brain and make you worry." I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it wouldn't serve any valid purpose and it's highly unlikely.

The fact that you were given a date when the court was not open would be grounds for you to quash the warrant. But it would not go to the merits of the case, which clearly appears to have been filed with the court. So in short, the backstory you provided may prove helpful to keep you at liberty when you return on the warrant but it will not cause this case to be dismissed.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.