Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Yesterday afternoon I wrecked my car in a ditch, and left it

Customer Question

Hello! Yesterday afternoon I wrecked my car in a ditch, and left it there. I was going to pick it back up today and it was gone. The police department said that it is a investigation on the vehicle and that I have to talk to the state trooper involved when he comes back on at 5pm. They also said they chased me through the woods which is incorrect. I'm not sure if I should talk to him or if I have broken any laws with leaving the car.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: North Carolina, and around 4 pm yesterday
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, because it is the weekend no one is available. I also did not think I had done anything wrong
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you committed the crime of failure to report an accident and hit and run driving since you did not remain with your vehicle. The trooper is going to be investigating the matter and will be seeking to prove you were drunk when you wrecked the car and that is why you ran off and left the car. Of course, unless he gets you to admit to that, he will not be able to prove it, but he will be asking you about that too.
I would not go speak to the trooper without having an attorney with you and they are not going to release your car until the trooper's investigation is completed.