Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I received a called from a bond company last Thursday and I

Customer Question

Good morning I received a called from a bond company last Thursday and I found out I had a warren under my name, I am being charged of theft on 3rd degree, the amount is around 28,000. It's my first offense, i got a lawyer yesterday and asked me to several things, to build my case. I am going to get a loan to paid full reinstitution before anything starts. I did it because i was unemployed for 1 yr 10 months, no excuse tho. In your professional opinion do you think I have a chance not to get jail? what are the scenarios I might face? thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

In my experience, on a first arrest/non-violent theft offense, even on a felony level, it is almost always possible to avoid jail. The most common plea bargain offer for an offense ofja this kind involves probation.

The warrant makes it a little more complex, because you do want to be in a position to negotiate this case while at liberty. But if you make bond and are also able to make restitution, there's an extremely high chance of your avoiding jail or prison.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.