Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Can a neighbor call with complaint about noise one day and

Customer Question

can a neighbor call with complaint about noise one day and not another, He called friday 4 pm complained, my music, which already played all week everyday outside with no problem or requests to turn down.. also thursday eve, i asked should i change station, it was classical, he shrugged shoulders...i changed station to his likes, and..left out there..he never said then or all week it was too loud or anything.. at all?? even when asked? can he then call and complain after that? i got a citation for this..after i was led to believe all was ok by him?? how can i fight this noise violation?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that the neighbor can call in a noise complaint even if he only heard the noise at any time. Even if he ignored the noise the first 3 days, he could have finally been fed up with listening to your radio and as such he could call the police. Even though he shrugged his shoulders when you asked him, he can still call the police, especially if he did not want to engage in a confrontation with you over this.
You have to argue and show that the noise could not be heard on his property, which means you would need witnesses to testify on your behalf.