LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

My ffl dealer contacted me stating that DOJ put a delay on

Customer Question

My ffl dealer contacted me stating that DOJ put a delay on my DROS. The only thing on my record is a misdemeanor concealed firearm charge back in 1993. I was told that should not prohibit me from purchasing or owning a firearm? Could that be a reason for the delay and should I retain a attorney from here to help with the process?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Was the original charge perhaps a felony and then reduced to a misdemeanor in a plea agreement?

2. Have you ever been charged with or convicted of domestic violence?

Doug

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The charge was never a felony it was a misdemeanor. I was transporting my firearm to work but with lack of knowledge I had the firearm and ammo not locked and stored away properly which let to the concealed charge and gun confiscatedI have never been involved in any domestic violence or restraining order. I have never been involved in any other criminal charge besides the misdemeanor concealed firearms charge in my lifeCould this be the cause of the delay from DOJ? Or what other possible reasons could cause delays? Should I be concerned?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
From my understanding a misdemeanor concealed firearms charge is not a reason for prohibiting me to own or purchase a firearm. And also since it was over 20yrs ago could you please specify in details of that is true?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello are you still there?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

While a misdemeanor conviction for a firearm violation does not automatically prevent you from purchasing a firearm, it is a red flag to the feds and the holdup is almost certainly related to the conviction and they are simply looking at your application with more scrutiny.

You will just need to be patient and allow the feds to do their more thorough investigation.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
from your professional experience do you think I have anything to worry about or do you simply think that they are just being more cautious with my application and that it should be released after being looked at?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In another words I am looking for a more direct detailed answer In regards ***** ***** misdemeanor concealed firearms charge. Is it a charge that prohibits me from owning or purchasing a firearm?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If it is not a reason for prohibiting me then I will know that my DROS will be released after looking into since I have no other charges on my record
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My ffl dealer contacted me stating that DOJ put a delay on my DROS. The only thing on my record is a misdemeanor concealed firearm charge back in 1993. I was told that should not prohibit me from purchasing or owning a firearm? Could that be a reason for the delay and should I retain a attorney fromhere to help with the process?