Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa

I got a speeding ticket and an illegal transportation ticket

Customer Question

I got a speeding ticket and an illegal transportation ticket in Illinois byba state trooper. I turn 21 on June 20th , i dont know if that makes a difference, my court date is not set u til july 13th. I was just wondering what might happen, the possible outcomes or consequences, if i should have a lawyer present in court?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not.
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Im in the National Guard. It was a left over case of beer from the night before. I wasnt drinking , i was on my way home. If any of that matters
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 4 months ago.

Good morning:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

In order to provide better information, I do have a few questions for you:

What was the alleged speed you were going?

Have you had any other prior moving violations in the past 24 months?

Was the alcohol container open (your question doesn't make it seem like it is)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My ticket says it was 89 in a 70 and it was a case of beer, the case it self was opened but there was no open cans of beer in my truck. The case was on thr floor in the backseat underneath some clothes and stuff. I dont have a truck on my truck so i didnt have anywhere to really put it

Well that's very odd. I am assuming when you mean 11-502 (which is the statute that should be listed on the ticket). The reason it is odd is because the law requires the original seal to be broken in order for the ticket to be given.

(The law allows for alcohol to be contained in the passenger compartment of a car so long as the original seal is still intact). This is the law regardless of whether it is regular car or if it is a pick up with no truck.

Nonetheless, both the transportation ticket and the speeding ticket are eligible for Court Supervision. Court Supervision is a type of deferred prosecution where if you complete certain requirements imposed on you by the Court (i.e., payment of all fines/fees, community service if required, traffic safety school, etc), the tickets will be dismissed. This is important because if the tickets are dismissed, no formal conviction is entered against you and your criminal history remain clear.

On top of that, both tickets are petty offenses. Petty offenses are offenses that are not criminal and do not lead to jail time if convicted, but they are only punishable by a fine. (it must be noted that, however, for someone who is under 21, two or more open alcohol container tickets will lead to license suspension).

So, essentially, the possible outcome for your tickets are fine only and no jail time. That being said, it would be wise to retain an attorney to take a closer look at the evidence as, based on what you have provided, the alcohol transportation ticket may lead to a finding of Not Guilty since the original seal was not broken. Also (depending on which county this is in), prosecutors and judges may take a tougher stance on someone under 21 when there is any type of alcohol related motor vehicle operation. An attorney may be able to level the playfield and lead the matter to a more favorable outcome.

Any questions based on this? If so, please ask and I would be happy to answer further or clarify anything I have provided here.

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do are not credited for taking the time to assist until the individual clicks ACCEPT and rates the assistance provided. Your cooperation in this regard would be appreciated!

I see you have read my response to your question.

If you have questions, please ask.

If not, please remember to click ACCEPT and rate. Thank you.

Please remember to click ACCEPT and rate the assistance provided per the Terms of Service agreed upon if you have no other questions.