Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
20355756

My alleged victim says they did not press charges and did

Customer Question

Hi, so My alleged victim says they did not press charges and did not write a statement to the police only told story but because damage, the police claimed could not ignore so made a report. Now, a detective called me last week, I did not return call. He approached me at my job today, and ask when I was going to come talk to him? I said I did not do anything, why should I? He said ok well I am giving you until next Tuesday to come talk to me and tell me your side of the story. I need a statement. I find it strange that he did not arrest me on the spot or did not force me to leave and come to the police station. I know I have right to stay silent, and I have expressed I didn't do anything. My next approach is to tell him that I am not doing a statement because truth be told I am not doing one. I have strong reason to believe that he's hindered and needs a statement so that he can incriminate and request warrant. I don't think it would be in a judge best interest to issue a warrant to arrest when there is no victim statement, no witness statement, no 911 call and the victim did not even call the police. What should be next course and what should I prepare for?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I called a lawyer once and they only thing she said was do not say anything. But this was before detective came to speak to me.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: Had a dropped case recently.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 9 months ago.

Hello there --

-

It sounds to me like the police may have pressed this "victim" into beginning charges against you and what the detective wants to do is get you to the station and put you in an interrogation room and then rattle your cage for hours on end until you confess to something that you did not do. That is the detective's job and he is probably very good at it.

-

If they had any true and hard evidence against you that could hold up in court then you would already be under arrest in this matter. Right now, they do not have much of a case because the testimony of one person cannot be the only evidence against another person that the other person (you) committed this crime. What they intend to do is get you into a sweat box and play games like raising and lowering the room temp (to make you uncomfortable enough to admit to ANYTHING in order to get out of there) and they will deprive you of food and drink and they will never tell you hat you are free to go because then that lets their prime suspect walk out the door (but if you stand up and walk out they cannot stop you).

-

I cannot stress to you enough that you need to get into speak with a criminal attorney in a first meeting consuletation and be prepared to give the lawyer a few hundred dollars as a RETAINER fee and then you take a bunch of the lawyer business cards and every time the detective calls you or approached you in person you should either give him the name of your attorney or give him a business card with the name of your attorney and tell the detective that if he has any questions or concerns about the matter, the detectives need to contract the lawyer again before bothering you. THat way if there is going to be any type of meeting or sit down withh the detective, the lawyer will be present and the questioning will be short and sweet -- there will be no lengthy session where the detectives lie to you to try to get a confession or they play games like "good cop and bad cop" to try to get you to confess to something you did not do.

-

Contact your local county bar association -- they are online and they can give you a referral to several criminal law attorneys near you and then you should go in person and speak to a few of them and hire the one that you feel most comfortable with to assist you in these situations. WIth a lawyer involved you will not make any verbal mistakes or end up in jail when that should not happen in this matter. You can find your county bar association on line by doing a search using the search terms of your city county and state and the words Bar Association Criminal Lawyer referral -- you should come up with several names and then you can go from there and the attorney can respond as the police get involved to any inquiries made by you or about you.

-

Do you have any further questions for me on this topic? If not, can you please press a positive rating above these chat boxes in the star rating section? I am paid NOTHING unless you press the middle star or the third or fourth star to the right of the middle star above in the ratings section. Doing so will not cost you additional money -- it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you with this question. Otherwise, I am paid nothing. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY

Hello again --

-