Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice

This is actually a civil law question I suppose. My brother

Customer Question

This is actually a civil law question I suppose. My brother was traveling on a motorcycle west on a four lane highway in Rome Georgia. The truck directly in front of him veered off highway to avoid another truck that had stopped for a funeral procession headed east. There was no time for my brother to see the second truck and rear ended him. My brother had crushed hip, broken leg, 8 broken ribs, broken collar bone, spent 2 weeks in hospital and 2 weeks in rehab hospital. Still not completely healed and may never completely recover. No citations were issued by police. Would the person who stopped for funeral procession be liable? He suffered no injuries but my brother came close to dying.
JA: OK. The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: brother lives in Alabama.
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No alcohol or drugs were involved.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 4 months ago.

Hello there --

The person who stopped for the funeral procession would probably not be liable because it is actually the law that oncoming and ongoing traffic are supposed to stop or slow down for a funeral procession if it can be done safely. So, unless it is shown that that truck driver did not stop or slow down safely, there may be some responsibility. The truck directly in front of your brother might also be held responsible if it can be determined that he was speeding and could not stop in time or if he was travelling too closely to the truck that stopped for the funeral procession and that is why this truck had to veer off at the last minute. While I know it can be pricey, the best way to prove that this accident was not completely your brother's fault is to hire an accident reconstruction specialist. You can generally find one either online or by contacting a local personal injury attorney in your area to see if the attorney is interested in the case at least until there is an accident reconstruction done. While I am genuinely sorry about what happened to your brother, we are all familiar with the general road rule that the person in the rear is responsible for what happens in front of him and so the insurance companies for both trucks are going to claim that your brother was either speeding or not paying attention and the fact that no tickets were issued by the police does not clarify the situation at all - either in favor of or against any fault on your brother's part, THat is where an accident reconstruction specialist can answer your questions once and for all and give you a general idea of whether or not your brother and his family want to pursue this matter civilly.

Do you have any further questions for me on this topic? If not, can you please press a positive rating above these chat boxes in the star rating section? I am paid NOTHING unless you press the middle star or the third or fourth star to the right of the middle star above in the ratings section. Doing so will not cost you additional money -- it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you with this question. Otherwise, I am paid nothing. THANK YOU VERY MUCH