Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Owi from Iowa but I have a Nebraska license : No : I was in

Customer Question

Owi from Iowa but I have a Nebraska license
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was in an accident and I refused a chemical test. I was arrested in Iowa but I have a Nebraska drivers license. I have a copy of my charges and they are losing control of my vehicle and leaving the scene of an accident. After I was release the officer gave me my license and on one of the papers it says he didn't issue me a temporary license because I have an out of state license.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I have a dui on my record from two years ago for Nebraska.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

What is your question with regard to this incident?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I receive an owi in Iowa will that restrict me from driving in Nebraska
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

Iowa can only take away your driving privileges, since you do not have an Iowa license. But every state will honor Iowa's suspension of your driving privileges.

Also, Iowa and Nebraska are members of the Interstate Driving Compact. That's an agreement among member states to hold drivers accountable for serious driving related offenses under a one driver/one license theory.

Because of that agreement, Iowa will reach out to Nebraska and inform the of your convictions. Nebraska will suspend your actual driver's license and can treat your OWI as if it was Nebraska's own.