Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

If I own a laptop that i allowed another person in the house

Customer Question

If I own a laptop that i allowed another person in the house to use am I required by New Hampshire law to bring it back for them to acces pictures or videos.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

The short answer is no. This is your laptop, and the fact that you allowed someone to use it doesn't make that laptop his or give that person unlimited use. You can forward him his files.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Am I required by law to even do that? Are the files the other persons property?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

Arguably so. The files are his and he clearly doesn't want to abandon them.

I don't know whether he or she could sue you for the return of them. That would depend on the nature of the files involved and if your keeping or destoying them would cause him damages.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that aspect would be a civil matter and nothing local police can enforce correct
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

Correct. You're not stealing the files if you are willing to make some arrangement to get them to him, such as forwarding the files.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.