Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was pulled over last night and the officer said he pulled

Customer Question

i was pulled over last night and the officer said he pulled me over because the registered owner of the vehicle has a felony warrant, well the registered owner is my wife. how can we find out what the warrant is for?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

i am surprised that the courthouse wouldn't give your wife the information. In my experience, the clerk will tell a defendant what the warrant was for and then advise him or her to come in and take care of it.

Apart from the clerk of the court, the following people would know if there was a felony warrant out on your wife and could tell you: the police, the prosecutor's office, the court clerk, and, usually, the public defender's office, since they generally have access to the court's data base.

So have your wife call the public defender's office and ask them if they can check to see if a warrant is out there against her and what it's for. If not, calling the police or prosecutor is a bad idea for someone facing a possible felony arrest. She would have to engage local counsel to find out about the matter and to help her to address the warrant.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.