Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My mom got arrested last night I can't talk to her : Please

Customer Question

Hi my mom got arrested last night I can't talk to her
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: They said she was arrested for prostitution but that's not true
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: She works as a massage therapist and when cops went there she was working
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How can she improve she's innocent?If she is released after 12 hours does it mean she has the record with her life?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

The only person the police must let talk to your mother while she is being held is her lawyer. She has a right to an attorney. Others have no rights to any information unless the police wish to give it to them which they usually don't.

This is just the beginning of the case. She's been arrested and charged with a crime. She does not have to prove that she is innocent of the charges. Under US law, she is already considered innocent until proved guilty.

It is the prosecution that must prove her guilt and they must do so beyond a reasonable doubt. So if your mother is released on her first court date -- if it's a first arrest she generally would be -- she will have an open criminal case and will need to get a criminal defense lawyer to fight the charges.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

The arrest would be on her record at this time, but she has not yet been convicted of anything. She has only been charged.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.