Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

Well my ex filed a police report saying I broke into her

Customer Question

Well my ex filed a police report saying I broke into her place. I haven't heard anything in over a week. My question is how long do most Investigations last with such a simple allegation.
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I wasn't for sure when I should or if I need too.
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of at this time. I'm trying to be very careful about what I say at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 5 months ago.
Hello.Sorry to hear about your situation. Honestly, the length of the investigation depends, particularly on what evidence that they already had when they started the investigation. Say, for example, your ex saw you leaving her home, or was present when you supposedly broke in, they don't have to do much of an investigation because they have an eyewitness. However, if there isn't really any evidence and she just suspects you of being the culprit, the investigation may take longer. They may have to pull fingerprints and have them tested, which can take quite a bit of time if the lab is backed up (for example, where I live, it can take four to six months to get a fingerprint analysis done). They may even try to speak with you and ask you questions about the incident. Then, if they decide they have enough evidence, they will have to apply for an arrest warrant. So the total length of time can depend on a lot of factors, including how busy the officer is with other cases and how much investigating has to be done.