Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

When you have a misdemeanor on your record and it is

Customer Question

When you have a misdemeanor on your record and it is expunged or it can be expunged after two years which would have been April 10, 2014. The two years are up now and I need it removed from my records.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm not sure what you're asking since you already seem to know it can be expunged. Illinois provides free forms and instructions for the process here. You can do this yourself without a lawyer. If this is not what you wanted to know, please reply here on this question thread and clarify your question.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I want to know if the record is expunges and sealed for a misdemeanor, which was a call to DCSF because of someone abusing their children, The DCSF wanted me arrested for a false call and because I threatened to call on the family. 2 years has gone by and I want it removed however the TSA is asking for my fingerprints after 28 years of working with the government and I am afraid that it could damage my reputation and my job. which was
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I want to know if the record is expunges and sealed for a misdemeanor, which was a call to DCSF because of someone abusing their children, The DCSF wanted me arrested for a false call and because I threatened to call on the family. 2 years has gone by and I want it removed however the TSA is asking for my fingerprints after 28 years of working with the government and I am afraid that it could damage my reputation and my job.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the reply. How was the case resolved? That is, were you convicted or was the case dropped?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure what you mean by convicted or dropped. I was counseled to plea guilty at the time since I was not told that I was going to need a lawu=yer at the time and then when I showed up in court the judge asked me if I had representation. I was very misguided through thw whole thing and like I said the state representative told me after to plead guilder and It would be a misdemeanor and in 2 years it can be expunged. My concern it that TSA Homeland Security, needs finger prints since it has been 28 years since I have given them and I don't know if this will show up on my record .
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
What I wanted to know is if you were convicted or if you were just arrested but the case was never prosecuted. Either way it would be on your record, but the former would be more damaging than the latter. Criminal records don't disappear with age. No matter how old the conviction is, it will show up on your record unless you proactively got it sealed or expunged it. In other words, though you could have expunged it in two years, it doesn't happen automatically. It's something you have to do for yourself or hire a lawyer to do for you. So, if you did get it expunged 26 years ago, your conviction should not be on your record. If you didn't do it, however, it will be.