Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

It that person did not show up the his first day in court

Customer Question

it that person did not show up the his first day in court and arrest warrant had been issued and what will happen to his original charges, will increase or not ??
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
rather If that person ...
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello,If a person misses his first court date and comes back voluntarily very quickly, typically, the judge will lift the warrant and the case will just go forward from there. If the person stays away, the longer he is gone the better the chance that if he's picked up on the warrant the judge will set bail on him. Apart from that, the charge itself would remain the same. The prosecutor has the right to add a separate charge for fleeing the jurisdiction of the court. In my experience, however, they will only rarely do so.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.