N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

Accused of stealing money from a purse left in Walmart

Customer Question

Accused of stealing money from a purse left in Walmart parking lot. I returned purse found.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 5 months ago.
Do you have a specific question? Did you happen to notice whether that business has security cameras in the area where you found the purse?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The purse I found was on camera. Saw picking up purse in parking lot (left in a cart) going to bathroom for approx 1 minute and 30 seconds and then going to counter and returning. Officer came to house one day later for questions. I answered them and stats u had a bathroom emergency and returned as quickly as possible. The officer stated about $700 was stolen.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was not seen nor did I take any money. Concerned they will arrest me at work. What should I do next?
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 4 months ago.
I would not worry about this, if they had any evidence that you had stolen anything they would have arrested you by now. They should check the security footage for the hour before you found the purse if they want to investigate what really happened.