Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

I was arreste in fort bend county for public intoxication

Customer Question

I was arreste in fort bend county for public intoxication .what are the consequences?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: last night
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I left at noon
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was asleep in my car and an officer asked me to come down to me the test
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 27 years and I was a district attorney for 9 years. Give me a few minutes and I will prepare your answer.
Public Intoxication is a Class C Misdemeanor under Texas Law. Here is how the law reads:Sec. 49.02. PUBLIC INTOXICATION. (a) A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.(a-1) For the purposes of this section, a premises licensed or permitted under the Alcoholic Beverage Code is a public place.(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the alcohol or other substance was administered for therapeutic purposes and as a part of the person's professional medical treatment by a licensed physician.(c) Except as provided by Subsection (e), an offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.(d) An offense under this section is not a lesser included offense under Section 49.04.(e) An offense under this section committed by a person younger than 21 years of age is punishable in the same manner as if the minor committed an offense to which Section 106.071, Alcoholic Beverage Code, applies.You face of fine of not more than $500. A typical fine in Fort Bend is $275. There is no jail time with this crime.Please let me know if I can help more. I will be happy to answer more of your questions. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.