Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live in Maryland. My neighbor has installed a 24/7 camera

Customer Question

I live in Maryland. My neighbor has installed a 24/7 camera pointed directly at my yard. What about civil law for invasion of property? What about a no contact order that would include surveillance? How do I get this? Also, got advice I should contact police as stalking? They are doing this because I have 2 dogs. They used to have a dog who was constantly on my property. My dogs have an electric fence. They do not leave our property. There is the occasional bark, but not excessive barking. What are my options for the state of MARYLAND?
JA: OK. The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I want 1st to know if videoing your neighbor's yard in in some way illegal in the state of Maryland
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Yes. For years my neighbors were walking thru my yard at all hours of day & night. Often drunk. One person actually fell of a dock & into the canal. We live on the water - Ocean Pines, MD. Although this was very alarming & annoying, we pretty much ignored it. The neighbors dogs come into our yard. We do not complain. Other dogs bark we do no complain. This started several years ago when we got an AKC registered lab. The next door neighbor would call him as a puppy & offer him treats when I was trying to train him. She invited him up on her porch. When he go a little older & went onto her porch & "did his business" in her yard, she would scream & curse. Of course it was cleaned up. Because of her screaming & cursing we spent several thousand dollars installing an electric fence. All the other dogs in neighborhood roam at will even though we have a leash law. Neighbors still continued to go through our yard. Then last Feb, we got a 2nd AKC registered lab. I asked neighbors to please not walk through yard during her training & put up signs "dog in training". They thought it was "funny" & continued to walk through my yard despite my repeated requests. It was upsetting both my dogs & a number of times they broke thru screens on porch because of neighbors. That gets expensive. Talked to police, they advised no trespassing signs. Apparently that was against bylaws in Ocean Pines. We had to go to several hearings, spend hundreds of dollars to install approved no trespassing signs. That lasted for 6 months, & our association made us take them down. The whole issue is the neighbors want to walk thru our yard whenever they want & it disturbs our dogs. They are well trained & also very protective. They don't want anyone in the yard unless we tell them it is OK. So they bark when someone comes thru. It wakes us up & upsets the dogs. I don't want them in my yard. They taunt my dogs. The camera I'm sure is to catch the dogs barking. All dogs bark sometimes. All the other dogs in neighborhood bark. Neighbors only have a problem with my dogs. They also complain about cleaning up after my dogs. I have a professional once a week plus I clean up in between. I don't clean instantly every single time & don't think I should have to. It is my yard. WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE ME. REMEMBER I LIVE IN OCEAN PINES, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxCustomer: Pearl, are you there?
JA: No. I'm the Criminal Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: Can you provide me with any advice?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking if you can sue for them pointing a camera at your yard?