RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I got caught shoplifting at walmart. I refused to give them

Customer Question

i got caught shoplifting at walmart. I refused to give them my receipt and walked out with no merchandise. They took my license plate #. What will happen to me? What should I expect to happen?
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I got caught skip scanning items at walmart. As i walked out i was stopped by a Lp. He asked me to go in room to check my receipt and items. I refused to let him check and to see my receipt. He then followed me to my car and got my license plate #.
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I do recently have a misdeamor charge of theft
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Walmart takes shoplifting very seriously and cooperates with prosecutors to see that people who are accused of shoplifting from their stores are prosecuted to the fullest extent. It sounds like loss prevention was watching you (likely on camera) since you were stopped as you tried to leave. I would not be surprised if your license plate number and any other evidence they have (such as surveillance video) was turned over to the police.

Therefore, yes, it is possible that you are arrested for theft. What you are charged with depends on what state this occurred in (since state laws vary) and the total amount of items allegedly stolen -if a low dollar amount it is more likely a misdemeanor, while if the value was high, it could be charged as a felony and carry more serious consequences.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces before signing out, so I am credited for my time and assistance today. Thank you!

Just following up with you. Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.