Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I got in a wreck where I hit somebody from behind. The

Customer Question

I got in a wreck where I hit somebody from behind. The person let me go, and we left. I called my insurance 2 days later and filed a claim that my car was damaged in a hit and run while it was parked on the street, I did this without thinking. I have a recorded call scheduled with a claims adjuster, and I am supposed to take my car into the mechanic. I am wondering if I should just tell them the real story as I do have collision insurance. I am wondering what to do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. I'm not sure what the extent of your damage is, but I would encourage you NOT to pursue your claim. Telling them NOW that you lied will ensure that you *don't* get it paid, and NOT telling them is *fraud* and comes with a whole host of other problems. Does that make sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. I'd be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if I close the claim, they are likely to still investigate? What other problems are you referring to?

If you close the claim they are NOT likely to investigate. If you pursue it and they find out about the misrepresentation you can be criminally charged with fraud.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I close the claim, and I obligated to give a reason for closing the claim or can I simply just say I no longer want to file the claim?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I mean't to say "am I obligated"

Yes, you would simply say that you will be paying for it out of pocket - or that you're concerned about it raising your insurance... or any other similar justification. I hope that makes sense.

I wanted to make sure I've answered your questions. If so, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you.

Hello again. I wanted to check in with you to see if you have any questions, and to see how everything is going with you.

Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 9 months ago.

Hello. I noticed you have not yet submitted a rating and therefore it remains "Open" on my end. I was wondering if you need any additional information or need me to clarify anything first. I’d be happy to do so.