N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

I was charged with damage to property of the 4th degree for

Customer Question

I was charged with damage to property of the 4th degree for slashing a tire while I was drunk. Have court next month will I get jail time for this? Or pay restitution?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. This is a misdemeanor, see 3.Misdemeanor."Misdemeanor" means a crime for which a sentence of not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $1,000, or both, may be imposed. So I am sorry but the answer is yes, you could be sent to jail for this, and voluntary intoxication is not a defense. However, if you have no prior convictions it is very likely that you would be sentenced to a fine, restitution, and probation. You can make an offer to plead guilty to this on condition that you are not sentenced to jail, and the prosecutor is likely to go along with that type of plea agreement. You can get a free consultation from some of the defense attorneys listed by location here. If you cannot afford an attorney, the Court has to appoint one for you upon request. Please follow up on this with a local attorney. I hope this information is helpful.