Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

The pulaski county sherrifs came into my home without a search

Customer Question

the pulaski county sherrifs came into my home without a search warrant and saw pills in a bag arrested me then got a search warrant and searched found a white substance and a green leafy plant which was marijauna not even weighing a gram on either found 56 guns my mom jewelry and 5000 dollars from my taxes in my safe the marajauana and the whiute substance wasnt in safe i was charged with possession and a weapon i want to know can thewy keep my money they took along with phones
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Yes, if the police have reason to believe that the money in your house was the fruit of illegal drug activity, they can take your funds and hold it for evidence against you or initiate forfeiture proceedings. If the former and you're acquitted of the charges, you could ask the prosecutor to release the money when the case is over. If the latter, you would be able to have a hearing at which point you could try to establish that the money was acquired legally. If you win that hearing, you'd get the money back.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.