PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I have a question. I have been charged with Insurance Fraud

Customer Question

I have a question.
I have been charged with Insurance Fraud and there is witnesses and a lot of evidence on me.
I am in PA and there was 14,0** dollars worth of damages and 146 instances of fraud. I collected 2,0** of the money.
I have never been in trouble before and this is my first crime. My judge is reasonable and friendly. I also have a really great attorney. Am I likely to get probation?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I have been an attorney for 27 years and I was a prosecutor for 9 years. Can you tell me what specific level of insurance fraud you were charged with? I want to look at the actual sentencing laws.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
health insurance fraud
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please email me at***@******.***
I am going to opt out and let someone else help you.
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 5 months ago.
A different Professional here. Whether or not you would get probation would depend on the prosecution. However, pursuant to Title 18 of Pa Consolidated Statutes Chapter 41 Section 4117(j), you would be subject to civil penalties: "(j) Violations, penalties, etc.--(1) If a person is found by court of competent jurisdiction, pursuant to a claim initiated by a prosecuting authority, to have violated any provision of this section, the person shall be subject to civil penalties of not more than $5,000 for the first violation, $10,000 for the second violation and $15,000 for each subsequent violation. The penalty shall be paid to the prosecuting authority to be used to defray the operating expenses of investigating and prosecuting insurance fraud. The court may also award court costs and reasonable attorney fees to the prosecuting authority." Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.