Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
90630425

What happens to information on a person who got caught

Customer Question

Hi. What happens to information on a person who got caught on theft at walmart? This is the first time and don't no why he/she did it at the first place?
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am in the process of getting Green Card. I made a stupid mistake. I stole a concealer worth $7.87. I honestly don't no why i did it. I was taken to the security room. Loss prevention guy took my picture and picture of my ID. Than they let me go. I want to know if this is going to be passed on to immigration and will this affect my green card?
JA: OK. The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: No thats my main concern.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon: My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. I understand that LP took down your information. With small value items and no previous history of criminal activity, LP will generally inform the person that they are no longer welcome at that store and leave it at that. However, many times, law enforcement becomes involved and charges are filed. May I ask, did you receive any citation, ticket, charge or arrest by police as a result of the incident?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did not get charged. No police was involved.
Ok, so that would generally bode well. This is because, for Green Card purposes, prior criminal convictions (sometimes even arrests) would be a cause of concern. Here, because police were not involved, no arrest occurred and no criminal complaint/tickets were issued or filed, there would be no record of the incident with Walmart. Essentially, there is no documentation available for USCIS to look up to find out about this incident. You were given a slap on the wrist by Walmart and would face trespass charges if you go back (depending on what LP said to you), but since no documentation of police activity occurred, USCIS will not know about the incident as they only look up criminal histories that come about from convictions that occur in courts. Any questions based on this? If so, please ask and I would be happy to answer them or clarify anything I've provided here. If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do not get credited for assisting individuals until they click ACCEPT and rate the assistance provided. Your cooperation in this regard would be appreciated! Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much. I haven't been eating and sleeping since 2 days ago because of my stupid mistake. I come from a good family and raised to help others but never do such thing. I hate looking at the mirror. Just a horrible feeling.Thank you.