Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My friend says that criminals can use my surveillance

Customer Question

My friend says that criminals can use my surveillance equipment to record my conversations inside my house. I have three surveillance cameras inside my house. Is my friend right or wrong? I use my cameras to record only pictures--never sound.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyCBradford replied 5 months ago.
I would be glad to assist you but I need some further information Are you asking if a criminal could hack into your surveillance equipment and record your conversations?
Even IF they could do that, it still would not be legal for them to do so
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes, I'm asking if it can be done.
Well hypothetically I am sure that someone COULD hack into your surveillance question, however, this is a legal forum and the answer to your question would be that even if they COULD do so it would not be legal. Nor could any "evidence" that was obtained be used against you as it was the product of an illegal search not to mention that you cannot record someone without their knowledge. I don't see how they could do so if there is no sound though on the equipment
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I used the app and I was expecting a surveillance expert. Sorry to bother you.
it's okay !! best of luck to you