Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
17897874

Would you be able to tell me if police could get a subpeona

Customer Question

hi, would you be able to tell me if police could get a subpeona for phone records based on a rumor? no evidence or witnesses?
JA: OK. The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: my friend got called into the police station and they are saying that he is being accused of having a sexual relationship with a student, he is a high school teacher. but the student, her parents, and him were questioned and denied anything. now they are saying they can get a subpeona for phone records, but i dont know if it is just to scare them or they actually can.
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.If the police have reasonable cause, they can go before a judge and get a warrant to compel the phone service provider to turn over phone records.They would need to show that they have reason to believe a crime is occurring. So, no, it can not happen in the absencce of any sort of corroboration.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?