Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

A family member was recently arrested and charged with "Criminal

Customer Question

A family member was recently arrested and charged with "Criminal Homicide" in PA - my family member went with a group of people to buy pot but on the way there was told by the other people my family member was with that they planned to steal the pot instead. The person they planned to steal the pot from shot and killed two of the people who were trying to steal the pot. The person whom they intended to rob and my family member are both being charged with Criminal Homicide. Does it make a difference whether or not the actual homicide was committed by the person they were trying to rob or does any homicide that occurs during a robbery attempt (whether by the robbers or the target of the robbery) allow anyone that was involved with the robbery to be charged with homicide?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Unfortunately, if a death occurs during the commission of a felony, everyone involved in the felony can be charged with a felony murder and it makes no difference as far as the charge is concerned which one of them committed the actual homicide. That said, if may make a great deal of difference in the plea bargain possibilities. They can all be charged with the same crime but end up with very different deals.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.